Thursday 28 March 2013

The Aquariums of Pyongyang - Update

I'm not usually one for learning about history. In my secondary school years history was the one subject that was 'hmm..interesting' but I never wanted to keep on with. Listening to 'The Aquariums of Pyongyang' is really interesting history complex and shocking - so much adjectives to describe it and I'm only on chapter 4. The total duration of the audiobook is 7 hours 22 seconds...I have a feeling I might be listening to the remaining 5 hours and 50 minutes in the next 24 hours.

Did I even mention what the book is about? There were three people involved in creating the book, one of the three being the Kang Chol-Hwan - the person that the story belongs to; it is about his childhood in North Korea, North and South Korea's history briefly mentioned, Kang Chol-Hwan's families' history (Jeju Island, Japan, North Korea) and North Korea in general. Kang Chol-Hwan escaped from North Korea and through 'The Aquariums of Pyongyang' he is able to share the custom in North Korea,  educate people about the sad condition in North Korea and ask for help for North Korea citizens. 'The Aquariums of Pyongyang' is also one of the first published accounts of the prison system in North Korea. I can't fathom my high interest but yes I recommend it

No comments:

Post a Comment